Where To Clean in the Office
The germ hotspots in the office
- Computer mouse
- Bathroom lock
- Hand sanitizer bottle
- Light switch
- Desk phone
- Kitchen cupboard
Clean Link Office Study Reveals Top Germ Hotspots Sep 24, 2021
What is disinfection?
There are three categories of disinfection.
- High-level disinfection … destroys mycobacteria, vegetative bacteria, viruses and fungal spores, except large numbers of bacterial spores in a relatively short exposure time.
- Intermediate-level disinfection … destroys mycobacteria, vegetative bacteria, most viruses, and most fungi, but does not kill bacterial spores. Examples … concentrated quaternary ammonium compounds, e.g. hospital cleaners and disinfectants with a tuberculocidal claim. Used for non-critical instruments and environmental surfaces when a tuberculocidal agent is necessary.
- Low-level disinfection …) destroys lipid or medium-sized viruses, some fungal spores and vegetative bacteria. Examples: Diluted quaternary ammonium compounds, e.g. hospital cleaners and disinfectants without a tuberculocidal claim. Used for non-critical items and surfaces ….
Infection Control Southern African Journal of Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2021;27(6 Suppl 1):S145-150.
Disinfection in a dentist’s office
…Strike the right balance between efficacy and compatibility:
- Select healthcare surface disinfectants with EPA-registered disinfecting claims against MRSA, influenza viruses, and bloodborne pathogens.
- Know the surfaces in your facility … to ensure they are maintained appropriately.
- Look for cleaner disinfectants that are designed to be compatible with a wide range of hard, non-porous surfaces.
Establishing proper protocols and training staff to follow them become the keys to ensuring compliance.
Dentistry Today Balancing Environmental Infection Prevention and Surface Safety Dec 7, 2018
Choosing the Right Disinfectant
- QACs are commonly used in ordinary environmental sanitation of noncritical surfaces, such as floors, furniture, and walls. Scientific literature reports that quaternary ammonium-based disinfectants are effective in removing and/or inactivating S. aureus and P. aeruginosa from computer keyboards….A recent work by Brown et al. demonstrated … microbial reduction due to QAC’s activity on glass continues after contact and wetness time.
Artasensi A et al. Back to Basics: Choosing the Appropriate Surface Disinfectant Antibiotics (Basel). 2021 Jun; 10(6): 613.